Gorgeous high-def images coupled with a thin, stylish design
Samsung's UN55B8000 features advanced LED backlight technology for a breathtaking high-definition picture. And with a depth of just over an inch, this model is one of the slimmest HDTVs ever made — truly astonishing for such a large screen. Reflective acrylic highlights at the edges of the gloss black cabinet give the UN55B8000 an elegant "picture frame" look that beautifully complements just about any room.
An LED backlight for high-contrast images and rich colors
The UN55B8000 uses an LED backlighting system instead of a traditional fluorescent backlight. This dramatically improves picture contrast, for bold blacks, brilliant whites, and everything in between. Plus, it expands the range of available colors, primarily increasing the number of reds and greens. You'll enjoy high-impact images with colors that look much more nuanced and natural. An LED backlight also doesn't require as much power. In fact, Samsung's 2009 LED HDTVs consume up to 40% less power than last year's conventional LCD sets.
240Hz refresh rate for super-clean motion
A 60Hz screen refresh rate is still the norm for LCD TVs, but the UN55B8000 ups it to 240Hz. Samsung's Auto Motion Plus technology inserts three entirely new frames in between each original one, creating the sharpest picture with the smoothest motion possible on an LCD set. Images look incredibly clean and lifelike, no matter how hectic the on-screen action gets. You'll definitely want to give this TV a look if you're a fan of sports, action movies, or video games.
Do much more than watch TV
The UN55B8000 gives you a wealth of multimedia entertainment options. A rear Ethernet port lets you use your broadband Internet connection to access Yahoo! Widgets, for services such as Yahoo! News, Flickr, and USA Today. With the touch of a button, these web Widgets appear in a "dock" at the bottom of the screen, so your TV viewing can continue without interruption. Or, plug a thumb drive into the USB port on the side of the TV and watch your favorite video clips. If you connect the optional wireless USB adapter, you can enjoy this set's networking capabilities without running Ethernet cable.
A variety of viewing options
With four HDMI inputs and a component video input, the UN55B8000 makes it easy to connect your high-definition gear. The HDMI inputs offer "CEC" control, which lets you operate compatible HDMI-equipped Samsung components using only the TV's remote. You can, for example, control components hidden away in a cabinet without using a remote repeater system. The component video input doubles as a composite input, so you can connect your VCR or camcorder, too.
Learn about the ins and outs of HDMI connections at the Crutchfield Learning Center.
Shop our selection of HDMI cables.
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- Touch of Color™ reflective acrylic bezel
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- LED edge backlight for high contrast and natural colors
- 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Auto Motion Plus 240Hz™ blur reduction
- Internet-ready with Yahoo! Widgets (requires broadband service)
- DLNA streaming of video and music from a compatible Windows® PC
- pre-loaded HD content, including an image gallery, recipes, and games
- x.v.Color™ compatibility
- 1-tuner picture-in-picture
- built-in stereo speakers (15 watts x 2)
- illuminated remote control
- Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- ENERGY STAR® 3.0 compliant
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 5 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 4 HDMI v1.3 — accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Ethernet port for a high-speed connection to a home network
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- stereo minijack audio output (mini-to-RCA adapter required for a connection to most audio components)
- 2 USB ports (1 for digital video/photo/MP3 playback, 1 for Samsung's wireless USB adapter)
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 23"W x 12-1/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 52-1/8"W x 31-3/8"H x 1-1/4"D (34"H x 12-1/8"D on stand)
- weight: 64.0 lbs. with stand; 61.3 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor — in-home service or pick-up for service